The Cardinal Cesare Baronius Library, or the Pharr Oratory Schools’ center of information, knowledge and technology, offers students, parents, and staff a grandiose and beautiful environment for reading books, doing research, or just for enjoying an article in one of the many magazines or other periodicals on display. The following is available to students:
- Internet connection providing services with (a) Computers on Wheels (COW), (b) Computer Lab, and (c) computer workstations located in the main library.
- Access to the library catalogue and databases through the school’s website: oratory.goalexandria.com
To provide better service for all grades from PK to 12, the main library has been divided into five sections. In each section students have access to books for leisure or for academic purposes. Each section is identified in the following way:
- E Section: This section holds books suitable for Pre-Kindergarten through grade 2, comprising fiction, non-fiction, and biography.
- J Section: This section holds books suitable for grades 3-6, comprising fiction, non-fiction, chapter books, and biography.
- I Section: This section holds books suitable for grades 7 and 8, comprising fiction, non-fiction, and biographies.
- R Section: This section holds reference books, of interest, mostly for older students in grades 6 – 12 and for teachers.
- Athenaeum Section: This sections holds books suitable for grades 9 – 12 and for university level students, comprising fiction, non-fiction, and biographies.
- These categories are not absolute. They serve as a guide to help students find books suitable for their academic and emotional level.
Online subscription programs accessible to students from school, home or wherever there is an Internet connection and a computer or similar device.
- IXL – Mathematics program for grades K-8 and Language Arts for grades K-5
- Learning.com (Easy Tech) Project based program that integrates technology in teaching for grades K-8
Online subscription programs for teacher use
- edHelper – Provides teaching resources
- Enchanted Learning –For instruction in PK – 5
- Project Wisdom – Character based program
- Quia – Instructional tool for Athenaeum teachers
Other online programs for use by students, parents and teachers
- ABC Mouse – Reading, Mathematics, Science, Arts and Colors, and Music program for grades PK3-K
- Star Fall – Phonics reading program for grades PK3-K
Online database subscription for students, parents and staff
- Britannica School Edition
- Dicovery Educación (for teacher instruction only)
Programs and Activities
- Quarterly Reading Incentive Program
- Book Fair
- Try Prayer! It Works! Contest
- Students: Computer Lab equipped with video conferencing equipment, library computer workstations, classroom computer workstations, and computers on wheels (COW).
- Teachers/Staff: The following is available for teachers and staff: Scanner for grading Scantron tests, iPads, assigned laptops to teachers, computer lab equipped with video conferencing equipment, library computer workstations, classroom computer workstations, LCD projectors, computer speakers, overhead projectors, cassette players, document cameras, CD players, wireless pen tablets, DVD players, amplifiers, cameras, active boards and active table.